Sunday, June 25, 2006

Rooney's Nike Ad


This is Wayne Rooney, England and Manchester United striker.

This is a
Nike poster ad. Something you would see at a bus stop or in the subway....maybe a magazine.

This ad is getting a lot of negative press in England. This ad is also only seen in England.

An article in the
Daily Mail says that people are complaining that the poster is too Christ-like and bloody.

I follow English football, so when I saw the ad, I knew it was Wayne Rooney. I also knew that the way his body is painted is representing the English flag. I think the "Warrior Pose" that he is in, truly is showing his passion for his country and for football.

I showed this same picture to a couple of friends before posting to get their opinion. One said that he didn't even know that was the English flag. He thought that the Union Jack was the flag of England, but he found nothing offensive.

The other friend I asked was a woman, the first thing she said was, "Well, I know that's the England flag." She did say that the red looked like blood....but wasn't offended by it.

What do you think?

No comments: