Sunday, June 11, 2006

ABC, ESPN & ESPN 2's World Cup Coverage

ABC, ESPN and ESPN 2 are showing every World Cup match this summer. Here's my take on their choices for match announcers.

Dave O'Brien & Marcello Balboa....During the England match I felt that I could have done a better job commentating on this match. I don't know Dave's credentials, but get over the jitters already! Marcello doesn't even sound like he even played soccer for the US National team. They did a much better job with the Mexico vs. Iran match.


Glenn Davis & Shep Messing....These two are REALLY good together. They are constantly talking to the viewing audience and giving some great information.

JP Dellacamera & John Harkes....great job so far. My only gripe against them is with the Netherlands match....in the first half they had to make it a point to mention which Netherlands players and how many of them played with or against U.S. players and who those U.S. players.

Adrian Healey & Tommy Smyth....This is the BEST team they have going....it's too bad these two will be relegated to the "bad games." These two obvioulsy announce soccer matches for a living an not just every 4 years. (Sorry Dave and Marcello)


I wonder who's going to get the Final game?

If I had to pick a current team, it would be a toss-up between Glenn & Shep and Adrian & Tommy.

No comments: