Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Children Are Miracles

I don't normally post things about my personal life (that may be changing soon), but I can't help but share this with the few of you who actually read this blog.

My daughters and I go to story time at our local bookstore, every week....without fail....we're "regulars." They sing songs and read stories, it's about ½ an hour to 40 minutes at night.

Sometimes there's a theme (colors or characters, such as Clifford the Big Red Dog) and other times a guest reader.

Recently we had 2 guest readers. Both of these guest readers were kids, but they were mentally disabled. The boy who read for us was about 13 or 14 and he did a great job. Next, was a girl who was 10 or so, had her Mom sit with her and she also did a great job.

After they read, we sang some songs, read a couple more books and then we were finished....as I was getting up from sitting on the floor, my oldest daughter came up to me and asked me, "Daddy, can I go and tell that girl that she did a good job reading?"

"Sure!" I said.

As she started over to the girl, who was with her parents and some others surrounding her, my daughter said out loud that she did a good job reading.

My daughter came back over to me a little frustrated, saying "I don't think she heard me."

I told her that it was OK, and asked if she was ready to move on with our evening....but this was something that was important to her. She looked at me and said, "No, Daddy, I want to tell her."

So, I said, "OK, sweetie, go ahead"

I watched her the whole way....her little body standing there amongst these tall adults, all to get the attention of one girl, who she was proud of (and wanted to let her know.)

"Excuse me," she said....all of the attention was now fully on her...."You did a really good job reading." She received a thank you and then she turned around and ran back to me.

I was so proud of her. I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, but I wished that the other girls parents knew it was her idea and not mine.

Are moments like this needed to validate parenting? I don't know about that, but when things like this happen, you can't help but feel good about your children and who you hope they become.

7 comments:

Jules Bianchi said...

I like this story. I don't have daughters, but I have two nieces that I love dearly... I can totally relate.

I think you sound like a great father, btw.

ScotWharton said...

Thanks Jules!
=)

Anonymous said...

Well Scot ~

I personally KNOW what a great father you are and can soooo imagine that evening.

Be proud!

Kyle

ScotWharton said...

Thank you Kyle.

Kris said...

That's because she's awesome just like her parents. (And her aunt Kippy) ;o)

Anonymous said...

You are truly the best dad - husband and son - I know cause I'm the GRAND-DA-MA - love and hugs - I can totally see her doing this.

Anonymous said...

waiting for more blog - the Mom-O